Sunday 19 October 2014

Sexism in freshers week

Everyday sexism in freshers week: the fightback starts here

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/sep/19/everyday-sexism-in-freshers-week-student-university

The National Union of Students is investigating lad culture at universities.

















This article is about how the National Union of Students (NUS) revealed the results of a survey of over 2000 students. The results showed that 37% of female and 12% of male respondents had experienced unwanted groping or inappropriate touching. 36% of women had experienced unwanted sexual comments about their body (compared with 16% of men).A girls story is explained which is related to the issue: “On a night out at the student union, I was dancing away, minding my own business, when a guy I didn’t know grabbed me from behind and roughly pulled me into him, lifting me off my feet. One arm around my waist and the other across my breasts, he spun me around and then pushed me into his friend. I was even more pissed off when I told a member of staff and all I got was a shoulder shrug and told that they couldn’t do anything because ‘I had not been assaulted’. Gee thanks.”

Key Points:
·         37% of female and 12% of male respondents had experienced unwanted groping or inappropriate touching.
·         36% of women had experienced unwanted sexual comments about their body (compared with 16% of men)

This article shows how there is an issue with university life as there are issues of harassment and unwanted sexual groping of female students. This article shows that there isn’t really enough protection for these female students.

No comments:

Post a Comment